Saturday, August 27, 2011

Undercover Busy!

It's been a while since I've actually posted something on this blog, but believe me I've been busy arting away just the same...just undercover busy!

I don't know about you, but I've got a ton of scraps/mementos/stubs just hanging around my house that I just can't part with because they conjure up a memory or two.  So, I decided to try and figure out how to save them in an orderly fashion.

I've been hearing a lot about Smash Books (made by KC& Company) lately.  They are basically a book to contain all of the everyday scraps of life.  Not wanting to waste money on buying a commercially produced book, when I'm sure I can produce my own, I decided to start poking around youtube to see if I could find something like a smash book to hold all of my scraps.  I came across this awesome 2 part tutorial for making a Junk Journal out of an ordinary school composition book.  Given that I have MOUNDS of scrapbooking paper, I was sold!  I still have a lot more distress inking to do, but I'm pretty sure I can ink as I go.

Here's a peek. 

Ordinary Composition Book

Tons of Scrapbooking Paper & Cardstock  

Equals One Big Fat Junk Journal.

 The outside spine is reinforced with fun hounds tooth duct tape (and ribbon underneath - see tutorial).  I also added some huge paperclips that I found at Old Navy, tabs, fun shaped paperclips and metallic binder clips (info also included in the tutorial) from Office Depot to hold my scraps.

 Here's a page containing stubs from our trip to the Academy of Sciences this summer and stubs from the Smurf Movie last night (I suffered through it...it was horrible and I like kids movies!).  The page needs a ton of inking, doodling and whatever else I feel like adding.  Either way, it's great to have a place to store all the "Scraps of Life", which by the way, will be the title of this book once I get around to making a name plate.


  I love the 'no pressure' feel of this book. 



3 comments:

  1. I always smile when I see your work space it is so similar to mine (although much tidier )I like this idea a lot,if I do not get rid of some STUFF soon i will be snowed under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Mary! I've been hoarding for waaaaay too long. Time to really start going thru this stuff and using it or get rid of it (although, I don't think I could get rid of it!...so I better start using it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way! Houndstooth duct tape...I have to get me some! Love the book...cant wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete