Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tentacle Girl - (Work in Progress)

I've been so obsessed with the 1000 Journals Project ever since watching the documentary the other day that I decided to pull out my book entitled 1000 Artist Journal Pages.  If you've never thumbed through it, I strongly encourage you to as the book is brimming with inspiration!!  If you don't own it, it's really just a book filled with photos of journal page submissions from all over the world.  Most of the submissions are from every-day people, however, there are some submissions from well known mixed media artists. 


One page in particular caught my eye and inspired me to create a "like" piece which I have entitled "Tentacle Girl".  The inspiration piece looks more like a Mardi Gras mask...mine clearly does not.  Take a peek at the two side by side below...
  

It is a work in progress right now.  I need to finish the tentacles (I'm thinking more half circles shooting out of the sides), some white designs in her hair...journaling...more face color and it will be complete.  Her face is an altered magazine image that I gesso-ed and used oil pastels on.  The tentacles are strips of 12x12 scrapbook paper and the background color is acrylic paint & copic markers.

I'm having FUN, FUN, FUN with it!



6 comments:

  1. Do you mean to say there are books out there that I do not own. I think your page is great and your pen storage is fantastic .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary!
    I LOVE my pen storage. Pricey but well worth it. I got them here at a store in the US called Office Depot but you can google "Deflect-O® Stackable Cube With X Divider" and I'm sure you can locate a company that ships to your area...or something local to you. Strongly recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz,
    Love what you are doing! Please let us see the finished page, pretty, pretty please? :)
    I now have to have the book and I am off to Office Depot for that pen rack - wonder if Amazon has it?
    Hugs, Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lois! Mary found the pen cubes at Costco. Not sure if they have them in the warehouse, but they have them online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually They did not have them in our Costco ,but I did get a bargain . I found them online here with a company I had never used before. I took a chance as they were only £4.35 about half price to any where else. £7.99 postage next day delivery.
    Ordered 8 and they refunded shipping costs because they did not arrive next day. Bargain!

    ReplyDelete