Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tentacle Girl - Art Journal Page

So I finally finished "Tentacle Girl" that I previewed the other day.  She turned out to be less "tentacles" and more "branches" once I decided what the page was all about...

In her hair are the lyrics to "Blackbird", a song by The Beatles. 


Blackbird in the dead of night,
Take these broken wings and learn to fly.
All your life you were only waiting for this moment to arise.
Blackbird fly, blackbird fly...
into the light of the dark black night. 


Why, you ask?  Well, I just finished reading the book "Blackbird" by Jennifer Lauck and it really resonated with me.  It's a memoir, narrated by a little girl who suffered a traumatic childhood...filled with the day to day struggles of a terminally ill parent.  I can relate.  My father was terminally ill for the majority of my childhood.  The type of illness where death is considered a relief to the sufferer, and the loved ones. 

Sad, but true. 

3 comments:

  1. This is a great spread Liz ! and I may try to get a copy of the book from our very quaint mobile library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    What a great piece of art!! The book sounds interesting too. I'll share one of my favorite quotes: "It's never too late to have a happy childhood". Also-thank you for 'following' my blog, it's nice to 'meet' you and discover your art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments ladies!

    JGR - Love your blog...thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete