Friday, July 1, 2011

Playing with Watercolors

Admittedly I've never been very comfortable with watercolors beyond just applying color to a page for a background.  AT ALL.  I took a class many years ago to try and master them, but failed miserably.  It frustrated me to no end because I really wanted to get the hang of it.  I just love the effect of watercolors so much!   No cigar.

So, the other night I decided to re-acquaint myself with them again.  More honestly put, I forced myself to play since I'm quite resentful of the fact that I failed so badly in the past.  I reasoned that if I blocked my practice page off into several sections, I'd be less intimidated.  Honestly, it worked.  It was really fun filling in the very simple designs I mapped out.  Clearly though, I am JUST getting my feet wet.  But the resentment has subsided for now.  Half the battle has been won!  For now.

If you want to give it a shot, I highly recommend sectioning off your sheet.  It really solidified the fact that I was practicing and not working toward a finished piece...it also allowed me to play with many colors and fun shapes!


For my next practice session I am going to focus on shading.   Oh boy, this outta be interesting!

1 comment:

  1. I actually like working with watercolours,but to be honest I have become lazy and quick crafting has taken its place.

    ReplyDelete