Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Time Comes...

when one is ready.  (Carl Jung)

You just gotta have faith!  I have had this play out in my life over and over.  Hoping and expecting a certain something to happen (or not happen) only to have it never materialize...or materialize when I didn't want it to. The questionning.  The tears.  Then suddenly years, months, weeks later...

it all becomes clear. 

Things don't always turn out the way we want them to, when we want them to.  But, I have found, more often than not (sans death, divorce and that really icky stuff), "everything happens for a reason"...we just don't always see that reason at the time.


Exhibit A:
A few years ago I was laid off from my job (the place I have since been re-hired at) after 10 years of hard work.  I was (as was my entire staff) the product of the company going public and needing to re-organize.  I got that...but it didn't make it any easier to swallow.  The one saving grace was, they paid me generously to leave.  STILL, I was scared out of my mind.  I couldn't stop worrying.   How would I make the mortgage payment when the money ran out?  How would I support my son? On and on.  Plus, I'm a worrier by nature...a bit of a "Woody-Allen- neurotic". 

Luckily, after 1 year and 4 months of searching for a job (and about 130 resume submissions later)  I was hired back.  Bridged in to all of my retirement, vacation, etc.  What a blessing.

Okay, to the "everything happens for a reason" part.  Where was the silver lining in all of this?  Oh, there is a lot of silver lining...a big shiny silver lining!!!

I WAS a devout corporate woman.  It was all I thought about.  Work.  I traveled for business constantly and I loved it.  Tucked my son into bed via phone more times than I can count and didn't feel guilty about it one bit.  My personal life came second to work. 

Being laid off gave me the opportunity to do some serious soul searching (as painful as it was) and find a new perspective.  My life was seriously out of whack, as were my priorities.  Now, my personal life comes first.  And I mean FIRST!  My job is much lower on the list.  It's just a job to me now.  It no longer defines me.  Don't get me wrong, I love working and doing what I do and I still work just as hard...but I do it to make money to enhance the rest of my life and that's the bottom line.  Period. 

"Everything happens for a reason".  Being laid off was a hard lesson for me - but one I needed to be slapped in the head with.  It forced me to wake up and get my priorities in check before I would be faced with years of regret. 

In the end, it was a gift.  I was given the paid opportunity to get my mental and emotional act together and I did.  I'm thankful. 


1 comment:

  1. At last i can post a comment Liz and say how much I like the colours in this page.
    i also am a born worrier.

    ReplyDelete