Thursday, June 23, 2011

Let Me Fly...

Let me be who I want to be! 

I have noticed a pattern emerging lately with some of the pieces I have created...and that's the use of birds and butterflies.  While I know they are used a lot in art journaling, I believe there is greater meaning to the reason they keep appearing for me.


When I was a little girl I dreamt of being a gypsy.  Not just casual dreaming...but SERIOUS anticipation of growing older and living out of a suitcase and wandering the country. I was even one for Halloween several years in a row (here's to roll playing!)  For some reason the thought of being free enough to travel the country and relocate upon a whim was so appealing to me.  In reality though, I consider myself ultra-responsible and that way of life has never been feasible for me. 

Digging deeper, I believe it's the freedom and independence piece that has always resonated with me.  Those qualities of life were the basis for my daydreaming of "gypsy-hood".  In hindsight, being free to speak my mind, support myself and building a life where I don't have to depend on someone else to stay afloat has always been my goal.  My mom used to say when I was a kid that I was 4 going on 40.  I think my parents hated the fact that I was so outspoken and independent.  It certainly made their job so much harder. Either way, that independent spirit remains at my core...

Just let me fly and be who I want to be!


4 comments:

  1. As I child I would FLY every night in my dreams and I can still remember the feeling of floating and watching the world beneath me the sense of freedom was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much about the freedom we experience in our lives is determined in our mind, how we see ourselves, how we see our circumstances and those around us. Life doesn't always go the way we think it will but we always have the choice of how we will respond to it...that is freedom.
    Your page is so full of joy, I can truly feel a sense of soaring above all things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always pretended that I was a bird,or a frontier woman living on my own in the wild west. Another favorite to play was a world spy.
    When I played with dolls my husband was usually Cat Stevens who was away on tour most of the time. A psychologist could have a field day with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your stories ladies. I guess we all had vivid imaginations back then too! LOL! We are all so blessed to be living in a world where we can be free...something we take for granted I think.

    Denni, your stories made me smile...especially Cat Stevens being on tour! xo

    ReplyDelete