Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Easy Summer Tote Bag Tutorial

I was perusing thru my daily rotation of blogs the other day when I came across a tutorial on my (current) FAVORITE blog...and artist for that matter.  I just LOVE the work of  Alisa Burke and find her style so refreshing!  Her painted canvas art reminds me a lot of Traci Bautista's style, just a bit more refined, which I prefer. 

Anyway, Alisa's tutorial explained how to alter an inexpensive wicker tote which you can find in the dollar section at Target.  Looked super simple and cute, so I went for it.  I loosely used her design and ended up making quite a few changes along the way as you will notice when comparing the step by step photos to the end product;  in the end, I went with a round handle and decided to cut the wicker straps all the way off and use some denim to tie the bag's components together, given that I'd used denim in the flower. 

The best part about this cute tote is the fact that the end investment was less than $8.  ($2.50 bag, $5.00 handle. I already had the cloth from a previous project.)  Now you can't beat that!

Start with a plain tote from the dollar section at Target.

Pick out some fabric and a handle.

Cut off the existing handles.
  This is where I came back later and cut them all the way off. 
 You could use the existing wicker stubs to connect your handle to the bag though.

Sew your pedals to some backing of your choice (if you want).  I chose denim.
 Make some designs in the fabric with a complimentary thread color. 

Attach the straps (which I also decorated with machine stitching) and pedals using a glue gun and add a button for the center of the flower.


1 comment:

  1. Really clever idea it would make a good gift ,I have about 10 pairs of jeans waiting to be recycled. I have already cut several up and used the Sizzix to create flowers.

    ReplyDelete