Saturday, May 14, 2011

I Want to Lose Myself in Wax...again & again!

Sounds sorta kinky, but trust me, it's a great way to get burned.  BAD! 

Had a blast today experimenting with encaustic painting for Nina's Art Journal Swap.  The prompt for this swap is "I Want to Lose Myself in Your Song".  I had never tried painting with wax, but after today, I'm certain that I will be doing it A LOT more.  The richness that it adds to a piece is incredible.  I really like the way this page turned out, and more often than not, that's not the case.

Vintage ephemera, watercolors, acrylics, music notes stamped and embossed, feathers...oh yeah, and WAX.  Lots and lots of it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Liz,
    Beautiful bird piece! I want to try wax so bad. I'm just up to my eyeballs in all kinds of mediums right now that I don't want to start buying a bunch of new stuff.
    What kind of wax did you use? Did you have to buy all of the equipment? Just curious how I should start when I'm ready.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Denise!
    Thanks!! I'm REALLY happy with the way this turned out. It's far more intimidating to think about encaustic painting, than actually doing it. I thought I had to buy a bunch of stuff too but you don't. You need 2 things. Bees wax (comes in 1lb block at Michaels) & a quilting iron (looks like a soldering iron but with a little tiny iron shape at the end). The iron runs about 30 bucks (use a 40% coupon and it's a savings!) I got the idea to simplify the process from a Suzi Blu video. Hope that helps. xo

    ReplyDelete