Friday, April 8, 2011

Foodie Friday Recipe Share - Pesto & Sundried Tomato Tarts Anyone?

"Everybody knows" (ala Phaedra from Housewives of Atlanta) that Italians have a reputation for cooking and eating.  I am NO exception!  Throughout my childhood, I eagerly watched my sweet little Italian Nonie crank out impressive culinary spreads day after day with such ease.  From homemade ravioli (these were her rolling pins that hang proudly in my kitchen) to beef broth that simmered on the stove all day in preparation for her famous vermicelli or minestrooooong soup (her pronunciation!).


While I wouldn't consider myself a gourmet cook, or even a foodie (okay, maybe),  I'm certainly not a "first-date-salad-eating-kinda-gal".  I'm past that at this point in my life.  I like to eat and don't have time for that nonsense!  I know what I like and can throw down a pretty good spread when I put my mind to it.  Because of this, I also like to collect cookbooks and recipes from girlfriends and family...and my jeans are always in a state of "tightness".  Occasionally, and I really mean occasionally, I have stumbled upon a new recipe that gets a permanent place in the rotation.  A recipe that gets memorialized in my handwritten journal-turned-cookbook affectionately entitled "Family Favorites".  Original huh?  There's also a "Healthy Favorites" version that gets used in uhhhh, spurts (like a couple of months before summer!).  Did I mention that my jeans are always tight?  UGH.


Making it into "the book" is quite the honor since there are serious requirements to make the cut :

#1. Recipe must have been tested.  Not just the "this sounds good I think I'll save it somewhere to make someday recipe"...but ACTUALLY prepared and tested.

#2. Recipe must be considered a "do-over (and over)" by my test kitchen taste testers & guests.

Here is one of those recipes that made it into "the book".  I found it at my mom's house several years ago while looking thru a stack of magazines headed for the recycling bin.  I think I might have been pondering a holiday menu at the time.  Either way, it came from Women's Day Magazine of all places!  While I will thumb thru this magazine IF it's around and I'm bored (while waiting for my dentist appointment or something),  I doubt I would ever actually purchase a copy at this point in my life.  I consider it a magazine for the older set and I'M NOT READY for a membership into that club yet.  I'm fighting it to the bitter end.




Not only is this recipe easy, it only requires 4 ingredients.  Yep, only FOUR!!  Click on the image to read the recipe...if you can read my writing!  One thing to note:  Blot the oil off of the sundried tomatoes before chopping them up.  Neither of these points are noted in my book. 

By the way, when I am asked to bring something to a party, THIS IS ALWAYS what is requested (see requirements #2 above).   Give it a shot for your next holiday or get-together, you won't regret it.  Well, maybe you will, because you'll be making them for every function from here to eternity going forward!  Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment