Friday, April 22, 2011

Foodie Friday - Pineapple Upside Down Cake & A Tradition

My mom wasn't the best or worst cook ever, but she made some things that truly became staples.  One of those staples was her Pineapple Upside Down Cake.  Easy, yummy and a recipe that requires only a handful of ingredients.  My kind of recipe!  She'd been making this cake ever since I could remember. 

When my brothers and I were kids we would pick at the edges of gooey-buttery-sugary-crust that forms at the base of the cake until it was gone.  At first she would get so mad at us for destroying her cake...later on in life she would be insulted if we didn't mangle the edges prior to the cake actually being served.  Ahhhhh...a tradition is born.  A tradition I have passed on to my friends and son.

I'll be serving this cake as one of my Easter desserts and everyone knows they are free to pick away.  In fact, I'll be insulted if they don't!

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

1 Package of Yellow Cake Mix with Pudding (& required cake mix ingredients)
1 1/2 Cups of Dark Brown Sugar (packed)
1 Cube of Butter
1 Large Can of Crushed Pineapple

Make cake according to instructions but substitute pineapple juice for water.  If not enough juice, add water.  Melt butter in cast iron pan.  Add sugar and blend until mixture is thick.  Layer pan with pineapple.  Pour cake batter over the top.  Bake according to cake instructions.  Check with toothpick.  Let set about 1 minute and turn onto plate.  Be careful...turning the cake is tricky and can result in sugar/butter burns if you're not careful. 

Pick away and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment