Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Be Not The Slave To Your Own Past

Oh how I LOVE Asian art, furniture and food.  I strongly attribute this to my upbringing.  Any of my close friends would tell you that I could eat Asian food (Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc) every day for the rest of my life and NEVER get bored.  I was actually raised on  Asian food.  Weird coming from a family whose heritage is Italian, Portuguese & Irish!  Funny thing is, we were never without a very large cotton sack of rice purchased straight from Chinatown...and I learned to use chopsticks probably before I could even walk!  Our house was also filled with Asian art and furniture.  I'm guessing the strong influence dates back to my father who was raised by a Filipino stepfather who he absolutely adored.  "A quiet loving man who taught me everything I needed to know about life and cooking" as my father used to put it!  So there you have it...the roots are planted and love is born!

As a result, I find that I love to work with Asian stamps, the color red and Geisha's.  And, so here you have it, an art journal page I've been tinkering with today....



2 comments:

  1. Ha! I was just eating Chinese food before I saw this! You have quite an original upbringing...our family dinners were very boring. My husband cracks up when I say "I cannot eat another tater-tot or flank steak ever again in my life!

    Your collages are so pretty...I too love Geisha's and the color red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,
    Yeah, my upbringing was certainly original. Although I really like a good grilled flank steak too! Thanks for the compliments!

    ReplyDelete