Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Journals

I attend a monthly SoulCollage Workshop (more on SoulCollage later) at my friend Sandy's every Saturday of every month.  I've often told her that attending her workshops is like attending church (although, I haven't been to church since I was forced to go in my youth!).  Anyway, it's like my adult version of church where a group of like-minded, caring people, in this case creative women, come together for a common reason.  At one particular workshop Maura P. mentioned how she just completed an Art Journal Swap...and so it began "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Journals".  It truly was that quick.  One mention of a journal swap and the majority of us were all over it!  Today, about 13 of us are in the "sisterhood" whereby we rotate journals on a monthly basis and someone completes a 2-page spread in your journal.  Some of us started our journals off with a theme.  Here are my contributions to some of the journals in the "sisterhood"...



Marilyn F's journal about "Depression, Happiness and Everything in Between".


 
Elke M.'s journal about "Time".  The card slips into the pocket on the right hand page behind the black stitching.



 

 Aikya P's journal.  Aikya says she is always worried about money.  I thought the song by the O'Jay's "For the Love of Money" really speaks to her concerns.  And, being the fan of old school R&B that I am, I will always jump at the chance to honor my favorites!  I'm quite sure I had that song blasting in the background as I worked on this spread.

  
Lastly we come to my very good friend Kari B's journal.  You would think since we are such good friends that working in her journal would be a breeze.  Not so!  Just the opposite, which was unexpected for me. I really struggled with what to do and then I had a very loud "a-ha" moment...and it dawned on me.

For some reason, she has this "thing" for birds.  Almost every art project she does has some representation of birds.  I personally think it's a subconscious need for "freedom".  Not the irresponsible, "I'm going to get in my car and abandon my husband and kids" sort of freedom.  I see it as the need for freedom of expression.  Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that she's a journalist (and a good one at that!) that contributes to that "need".  Who knows, but I think she secretly agrees that I'm onto something.   

No comments:

Post a Comment